Before fertilizing, we must know the nutrients functions in plant fertilizers. This knowledge is basic knowledge for planters or hobbyists of ornamental plants, for example. This knowledge will give us direction to make proper fertilization, not excessive doses, and not damage the soil structure. If we know the nutrients functions in plant fertilizers, we can easily choose the fertilizer available at the farm shop.
Generally, we see fertilizer consisting of macro nutrients and micro nutrients. Adequacy of these nutrients will encourage plants to grow and bear fruit to the fullest. In relation to fertilization, we also have to adjust to the phase that the plant is undergoing.
The function of Nitrogen (N) in Plant Fertilizers.
Nitrogen is one of the nutrients that is very important in the vegetative phase of plants. The function of the element Nitrogen for plants, among others,
1. Encourage the growth of roots, stems, and leaves.
2. Increases chlorophyll to make the leaves look more green.
3. Increase the tillers.
4. Increase plant weight.
If the plant suffers from Nitrogen deficiency, it will result in:
1. Plants languish, thin and stunted.
2. The leaves are small and also pale.
3. The bottom leaves easily dry/die
Phosphate Element Function (P) in Plant Fertilizers
Plants need sufficient amounts of phosphate during the primordial phase. Furthermore, plants need this element in the reproductive part. The function of phosphate elements for plants, among others
1. Extends the root so that the stem is strong.
2. Speed up fruit ripening.
3. Improve the quality and amount of results.
If the plant suffers from lack of Phosphate, it will result in:
1. Plants are not strong
2. Leaf edges and purplish ends.
3. The fruit is slow to mature and the seeds are less filled.
4. The fruit becomes misformed and the quality drops.
The function of Potassium Element (K) in Plant Fertilizers
Plants need the K element as a regulator of various plant physiological processes. The function of Potassium elements for plants, among others
1. Improve plant growth.
2. Increase pest resistance
3. Improve the quality of results.
If the plant suffers from Potassium deficiency, it will result in:
1. Leaf edges reddish white spots
2. Leaves wrinkled/curved and yellowish, reddish.
3. The growth of dwarf plants and easily broken.
4. Small fruit often has a pedicab wound and the quality decreases.
Nutrients Functions in Plant Fertilizers – Micro Nutrients.
Plants need other elements besides the main elements above. But plants only need these elements in small amounts. Some of these elements include Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), Sulfur (S) and Boron (B).